Grindr, an all-male geo-social network app, yesterday announced the winners of its inaugural Grindr Gay Travel Awards, in conjunction with its attendance at the International Gay and Lesbian Travel Association conference in Florianopolis, Brazil.
Grindr polled its global network of 3.5 million users in 192 countries to determine the winners for the Grindr Gay Travel Awards. With votes from all over the world, New York City received the award for Gayest U.S. City, while London, was chosen as the Gayest International City.
“Grindr users have their finger on the pulse of gay culture and destinations,” said Joel Simkhai, founder and CEO of Grindr in written statement. “They use Grindr when they travel, and they ask other Grindr users about the best places to go out, where to eat and what to do on their trips. So it’s only natural that we’d ask them about some of their favorite places. From the best gay beaches of Rio de Janeiro to the best gay festival in Sydney, Grindr users have voted, and our results show that major cities across Asia, Europe, Latin America and the U.S. are now considered top picks for gay travel.”
The additional winners of the 2012 Grindr Gay Travel Awards are:
- Best Gay Beach U.S.: Miami
- Best Gay Beach International: Rio de Janeiro
- Best Gay Resort U.S.: Palm Springs, Calif.
- US City With Best Gay Festivals: San Francisco
- International City With Best Gay Festivals: Sydney
- Hottest Grindr Guys U.S.: Los Angeles
- Hottest Grindr Guys International: Tel Aviv
- Best Destination to Get Married U.S.: Provincetown, Mass.
- Best Destination to Get Married International: Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Best Gay Pride Celebration: Sao Paulo, Brazil