Ashton Carter – Credit: Master Sgt. Adrian Cadiz/DoD
The White House signaled their support for lifting the military’s longstanding ban on open transgender service in the Obama administration’s most declarative statement on the issue to date.
White House press secretary Josh Earnest told reporters Monday that President Barack Obama agrees with sentiments expressed yesterday by Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter that all qualified Americans who are transgender should be allowed to serve in the military.
During remarks to troops in Kandahar, Afghanistan, Carter was asked his thoughts about transgender Americans serving in an “austere environment” like Kandahar and said he approaches the issue of transgender service from a fundamental starting point.
“It’s not something I’ve studied a lot since I became secretary of defense. But I come at this kind of question from a fundamental starting point, which is that we want to make our conditions and experience of service as attractive as possible to our best people in our country,” Carter said. “And I’m very open-minded about — otherwise about what their personal lives and proclivities are, provided they can do what we need them to do for us. That’s the important criteria. Are they going to be excellent service members? And I don’t think anything but their suitability for service should preclude them.”
Earnest said Monday that Obama holds the same views as Carter. “The president agrees with the sentiment that all Americans who are qualified to serve should be able to serve,” Earnest said. “And for that reason, we here at the White House welcome the comments from the secretary of defense. But in terms of additional steps the Department of Defense will take to address this matter, I’d refer you to the secretary’s office.”
Asked what those next steps may be, Pentagon spokesperson Lt. Cmdr. Nate Christensen told Metro Weekly no specific review of the military’s transgender ban is on-going. “We’ll let the Secretary’s comments stand for themselves,” Christensen added.
Last May, after former Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel expressed his openness to a review of the military’s transgender ban, then-White House press secretary Jay Carney said those at the White House “certainly support his efforts in this area.” However, the affirmation from Earnest that Obama holds the same view as Carter that nothing but “their suitability for service should preclude” transgender Americans from serving openly breaths new life into the effort to lift the medical regulatory ban that prohibits transgender service.
“To those familiar with how the military chain of command works, the Commander-in-Chief’s intent could not be clearer: President Obama has done more to ensure transgender Americans are treated fairly and with respect than all those who’ve previously held the office combined,” said Allyson Robinson, a former Army captain and director of policy for SPARTA, in a statement. “Good subordinate leaders take their commander’s intent and execute – they get the job done. That’s what SPARTA’s transgender members, their commanders, and their families are looking to Secretary Carter to do now.”
Lawmakers in the Montana House of Representatives defeated two anti-LGBTQ bills last week after the chamber's transgender and nonbinary representatives gave impassioned speeches protesting the measures.
State Rep. Zooey Zephyr (D-Missoula), the legislature's first out transgender representative, spoke out against House Bill 675, sponsored by Rep. Caleb Hinkle (R-Belgrade), which sought to ban drag performances and Pride parades in Montana.
Hinkle previously sponsored a ban on public performances of a "sexual nature" that was specifically intended to target drag shows and Drag Queen Story Hour-type events (even if they do not contain sexually explicit content).
President Donald Trump used his address to Congress on Tuesday, March 4, to attack transgender individuals, calling transgender identity a "lie" and railing against transgender athletes, gender-affirming care, and trans visibility in the military and more broadly within society.
At one point during the speech, Trump switched from speaking about a child who was diagnosed with cancer to claim his administration was protecting children from "toxic ideologies" in schools.
He brought up the story of January Littlejohn, a Florida anti-transgender activist who sued the Leon County School District in Tallahassee, Flordia, in 2021, alleging that her child's school had discussed restrooms and name change requests with the child, assisting her in "socially transitioning" without informing Littlejohn or her husband of their efforts.
California Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom has drawn the ire of the LGBTQ community for stating that allowing transgender women to compete against cisgender female athletes is "deeply unfair."
Newsom made the remarks on the inaugural episode of his podcast, This is Gavin Newsom, in which he seeks to interview "the biggest leaders and architects in the MAGA movement."
In the episode, Newsom interviewed conservative firebrand Charlie Kirk, executive director of the conservative youth-focused Turning Point USA.
Newsom asked Kirk what advice he would give to the Democratic Party.
These are challenging times for news organizations. And yet it’s crucial we stay active and provide vital resources and information to both our local readers and the world. So won’t you please take a moment and consider supporting Metro Weekly with a membership? For as little as $5 a month, you can help ensure Metro Weekly magazine and MetroWeekly.com remain free, viable resources as we provide the best, most diverse, culturally-resonant LGBTQ coverage in both the D.C. region and around the world. Memberships come with exclusive perks and discounts, your own personal digital delivery of each week’s magazine (and an archive), access to our Member's Lounge when it launches this fall, and exclusive members-only items like Metro Weekly Membership Mugs and Tote Bags! Check out all our membership levels here and please join us today!
You must be logged in to post a comment.