Boston Police cruiser — Photo: Ben Schumin / Wikimedia Commons
Police in Boston have arrested a teenager accused of threatening to “shoot everyone” in gay bars in the city.
The 16-year-old boy, whose identity has not been released, was arrested by officers from the Seabrook New Hampshire Police Department on Friday, Nov. 23.
According to a police statement, he was “wanted in connection to an investigation surrounding threatening phone calls which had been received at two Boston area bars.”
The statement continues: “At the time of his arrest, the suspect was wanted on outstanding warrants sought out of Suffolk County Juvenile Court for Threats with Serious Public Alarm and Civil Rights Violations in connection to that investigation as well as additional warrants stemming from other charges from outside jurisdictions.”
The bars in question were dbar in Dorchester and The Alley in downtown Boston, WCVB reports.
[adevrt1]
The Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office reported that the calls, made on Nov. 9 and 10, threatened to “kill everyone” and “shoot everyone in the bar.”
“The records also suggest calls made to several other Boston bars serving the gay community during the same time period,” the DA’s office said. “Investigators are following up with staff at those establishments to determine whether additional charges are warranted.”
At the time of the calls, Boston Police Commissioner William G. Gross said that police “don’t take any threats lightly,” WHDH reported.
“Everybody should be able to enjoy any establishment that they wish to go into in the City of Boston,” Gross said. “Whether it’s The Alley or dbar, you should be able to enjoy yourself peacefully.”
In a statement earlier this month, Brian Piccini owner of dbar, said the bar received a “threatening and bigoted phone call.”
In addition to working with police, Piccini said the bar would “continue to show our defiance towards intolerance by not giving into threats by standing united at dbar. We will continue to work with the BPD to ensure a safe and friendly experience for all of our guests.”
The suspect, who appeared at the 10th Circuit Family Division of Portsmouth Court, is expected to face charges as early as Monday afternoon.
A popular LGBTQ nightclub in Sacramento, California, is prohibiting patrons who wear MAGA-related attire from entering the establishment.
Badlands, in the city's Lavender Heights district, announced the policy on social media. Management claimed they were motivated to impose the ban after a patron wore a MAGA hat while in the bar, leading some patrons to complain that they were made to feel uncomfortable and unsafe.
"At Badlands Sacramento, we are committed to creating a space where the LGBTQ+ community and our allies feel safe, welcomed, and respected," TJ Bruce, the bar's owner, wrote in a social media post. "Recently, a guest entered the bar wearing MAGA attire, which led to some discomfort among patrons.
When I was 13, my father took me on a weekend trip to New York City. I remember sitting with him at the Howard Johnson's in Times Square, nibbling on fried clams, and somehow the question of homosexuals arose.
Now, I was an extremely closeted Cincinnati, Ohio, teen back then and had no inkling of the greater depths of my own sexual identity or of being gay in general. But I saw a few flamboyant men on the streets of New York in that summer of 1972 and asked dad about why they acted the way they did.
"They're homosexuals," he said. "They like men." He didn't offer further details.
Muhsin Hendricks, the world's first imam to publicly come out as gay in 1996, was shot dead in South Africa on February 15 in what appears to be an ambush. Eastern Cape provincial police confirmed that the 58-year-old was killed in a possible targeted hate crime.
According to police, Hendricks and a driver were inside a gold Volkswagen T-Roc SUV in Bethelsdorp when a silver Hilux double cab stopped in front of the car, blocking its way. Two unknown suspects, their faces covered, exited the cab and fired multiple shots at the VW before fleeing the scene. The driver, who survived the attack, realized that Hendricks had been killed by gunfire.
These are challenging times for news organizations. And yet it’s crucial we stay active and provide vital resources and information to both our local readers and the world. So won’t you please take a moment and consider supporting Metro Weekly with a membership? For as little as $5 a month, you can help ensure Metro Weekly magazine and MetroWeekly.com remain free, viable resources as we provide the best, most diverse, culturally-resonant LGBTQ coverage in both the D.C. region and around the world. Memberships come with exclusive perks and discounts, your own personal digital delivery of each week’s magazine (and an archive), access to our Member's Lounge when it launches this fall, and exclusive members-only items like Metro Weekly Membership Mugs and Tote Bags! Check out all our membership levels here and please join us today!
You must be logged in to post a comment.